I quit smoking on March 22, 2011 with Electronic Cigarettes

Sunday, July 20, 2008

The simplest things....

become so dang hard when you have kids.

or in this case DONT have kids. I rely on my older kids alot, I expect things from them, things I belive they need to do and learn to become productive members of society. AND I need their help to make life easier around here. I dont always realize how much until something simple comes along and they are not here.

We have been picking peas lately, they are doing pretty good. I want them to do this, I want them to learn that they dont have to rely on others to get what they need to survive. A patch of land for growing, a patch of land for hunting, or feeding out a hog or calf, and they can survive. It aint always easy, but its doable. They dont understand it all, but they are really picking up on the 'how to' of it. ANd they are not being forced to do it. Of course if I gave them the choice of playing, or hunting, or just watching TV instead of helping me, they would choose the less labor intensive of the choices. Its really funny, they will go outside and play for hours, sweating, running, jumping, hiding in the brush, doing what ever. ANd never complain about being hot, tired or dirty. They will get mad when I call them in. But they will complain about it in the pea patch. But I expect that. And its not like I am using them as slave labor. I am working twice as hard and dont eat near as many peas as they do!

But just like grocery shopping, I try to take at least the boys with me. I can use their help. With Bow, pushing the buggy, loading and unloading. And its not like it doesnt benifit them too. I am not one of those betty crocker moms who magically has groceries in the cabinets, food on the table and all the dishes washed and noone in the house ever see's the process. I am one of those scatterbrained moms who counts her kids every 15 minutes, allows them to help me cook, makes them clean up the messes they make when they cook and uses them as pack mules to bring in the 937 pounds of groceries that will feed them for 3 days.

yesterday they were told to clean their rooms, actually they were told the day before, when we saw their grandmother in walmart while shopping and she wanted to take them home. I told her no, we had pea pickin to do. So she settled for Saturday. I told them right then that their rooms would be cleaned before they left my house. Yesterday when they woke up I reminded them. That the rooms were to be cleaned that night or they wouldnt leave the next day.

At 7 my sister in law called me, asking if she could come and get the kids. I told her no, they hadnt cleaned their room and as a matter of fact I was waiting for 8 when I would have to call my MIL and tell her they couldnt come over there on Saturday. She asked to speak to one of them. She got Brett. He decided they would indeed get the rooms clean and be ready by 8. Since their bedtime is 8:30 he knew that they had to be done before then.
Then the race was on. They cried and complained, and even faught a little but they mostly got it done. I went through and pointed out what they hadnt done and they fixed it. The rooms are not a show place by any means, but at least you can walk through. When Amanda showed up she said she would be bringing them back this morning early. I told her to take them to the pea patch if I wasnt here. They didnt want to come, then remembered they would be getting paid a little money. they had bought a toy with what I paid them the last time.
I explained I wasnt paying for the work they did. But instead was rewarding their behavior, both enthousiasm and work ethic. I think this is a fair and logical system. They dont get an allowence and do help me out alot around here. I have to stay on them to get it done, but they are helpful.

Anyway, they said they would see me today and off they went. I got up at 7 and since BR wasnt home from work yet, I decided to wait on him to get home safe before I went to pick peas. Plus I was still tired. a little snoozing wouldnt hurt none. He came in at 8 and I headed out. I picked the whole garden, there wasnt much out there, but that doesnt change the fact that you have to check every plant. I got about 2 gallons of shelled peas. Not too bad. But my help never showed.

I came back home after picking up Bow and he and I ended up falling asleep. I woke up as BR was leaving for work. I handt fixed lunch or anything. So I got up and cleaned the house a little bit. I wanted a shower but there was no way I could get one. Bow has learned to crawl out of his excersaucer thing, he doesnt strap well into his highchair (plus, its not safe to just leave them in one with out watching them) and there was noone to watch him. So I decided to vacumm and pick up. And Bow decided to follow me. He was like a puppy dog. Everywhere I went he was right behind me.

Finally I talked to my Mother in law. She said that my sister in law had dropped the kids off over there and they were staying the night. Oh great. I had really wanted them to come home. They were my only chance at a shower. You dont realize how much you rely on someone for simple stuff like good hygene till they are not around.

Finally I could stand it no more. I just took Bow, stripped him down and put him in the bottom of the shower. its not a big shower so we were cramped, and I was scared he would look up and get soap in his eyes. But all went pretty well. I used to do this with the other kids, but we had tubshowers, and there was more room. Plus I always was able to holler at BR to come and get them at some point.

There was also a request from the kids to not pea pick in the morning as they wanted to sleep late and spend time playing, if I pick tomorrow afternoon they will be home and help me. Well it doesnt work that way. them peas are gona be ready whether the pickers are or not. So I guess they will just miss out on that money.

Heck, simple as that concept is, I had to explain it to a 74 year old man today. My grandfather came up while I was shelling the peas and we were talking. I told him there were gona be alot of peas by tomorrow, the rain had really given them a boost. "so you are gona pick tomorrow?"
"well yeah, what else am I gona do? beg them not to grow?"
"but its sunday"
"yep, and just cause God wants to see you on SUnday doenst mean he dont keep the garden from growin"
"but you cant go to church if you are pickin peas"
"now dont you reckon bein among God's beauty and bounty is acceptable?"
"if you think so. "

well I think so. plus I aint got to wear no dang panty hose!

I am halfway to my pea goal. And managed to get rid of some of the squash. I literly couldnt fit another thing in my freezer, so I took some to my MIL's house. She said I could borrow the freezer room. I have a feeling at some point someone will borrow my squash. But thats okay. There is plenty more where that came from. And peas are so much better, I'd rather use my freezer room for them!

And I wasnt the only one who missed the kid tonight. Poor Bow was lost. It took me HOURS to get him to sleep. And all afternoon and evening he would go to their doors and holler 'hey!' or stand on the couch looking over and holler at them. He searched the house and wallered on me. Not even that warm shower made him tired. He just wanted to play. It was after 10 before I got him to sleep. He will be SOOO happy to see them kids tomorrow. And honestly, so will I. Even if they aint there in time to pick peas!

No comments: