I quit smoking on March 22, 2011 with Electronic Cigarettes

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go away... OH wait, no stay, stay.. go away... stay.... go... st.. go..

Sorry about the other night. Sometimes I will be sitting here typing and all of a sudden I wake up a few hours later. I dont lay down to go to sleep, I just pass out. I guess there are times when my lack of sleep catches up with me.

The last few days have actually been pretty quiet around here. The kids spent last night at my grandfathers and this morning I had to go and get them. I let them sleep till 8:30, and then it took another 30 minutes for them to eat and get dressed. Then we had to go and pick peas.

Huricanne Dolly was WELL south of us, but she had some bands that came up here too. ( I am on the Texas, La border. Northeast of Houston and North of Beaumont) The forcasters said we would get rain today and I wanted to get the pea picking over with. We were out there about an hour. I had to stay on the kids the ENTIRE time to DO something. I would be just a pickin and turn around and they would be squated down like they were picking peas and be staring off into space, just like they were in a whole other world.

I ended up having to go down both their rows after they swore they got everything. which left 3 rows that I didnt get to before a dark cloud moved in and the bottom dropped out. ANd drop out it did! Everyone ran for the truck and Uncle Gerald took off in his golf cart. I was soaked to the skin. Then we had to go to and shell the peas. Have I told y'all what a great invention an automatic pea sheller is?? OMG. it takes HOURS worth of work and turns it into minutes.

Well it was still comin a storm and I couldnt even see to drive out of the feild. But we got up to the house and got to shellin. Of course Rain turns somewhat helpful children into worthless screaming, running morons. I kid you not. Worthless as teets on a boar hog.
They were jumping off the porch into mud puddles, holding their baseball caps under the eaves, taking off their soaking shirts and hitting each other. Running through the yard at full speed till they found a puddle of water and sliding.

By the time we got almost done it stoped raining. Uncle Gerald was going to go back out and pick what we didnt get, but by then it was nigh on time to start lunch, so I had to head home. And I made them boys strip to their drawers to get into my truck. Of course I had to find them first. They were off climbing trees, catching frogs, lizards and all other wierd creatures. I was waiting patiently (okay, so I never wait patiently) in the truck while they stripped on the back porch, I got out adn went to find them. The reason it was taking so long is they were trying to each hold a lizard while they stripped and keep a frog in Matts boot. I told them to LET the damn reptiles go. They KNOW they are not allowed to bring critters in my truck. They always end up loosing them and if they dont end up on my shoulder while I am driving 75, I find them weeks later dead.

I finally got them all loaded up, and we went and got the other two ungrateful heathens I am raising. Then it was home for lunch and I had to wash BR's uniform cause he forgot his at work this morning. As I opened the door I heard a muffled "oh crap" and about that time I saw a bright green streak of lightning rush past me and out the door. I dont know if it was an intentional leap or a fearful fall of 3 feet, but it survived and hit the ground running. Noone would claim the 'no coldblooded, 4 legged, scurrying things in my truck' infraction, but both boys offered to do a specific chore when we got inside and got both Rayley and Bow out of the truck before I could even blink an eye. Usually they fight over who is gona get who, or what they are gona carry.

I was cold and wet and nasty. So I made chili. Its an old family recipe and I usually only make it in winter, but I just love it so much, and since winter was so warm this year I never really made it alot. I didnt want to cook, But BR was tired of eating the chicken and dumplins and peas I made 3 days ago. So I froze the rest and put the peas in the freezer for Bow. He LOVES them.

The only problem with me wanting Chili was I hadnt thawed out the meat and didnt have much time, so I got to work. I was steady trying to defrost 5 pounds of meat and realized I couldnt hear anything. Not a fight, not a whine, no giggiling, no jumping, nothing. So I went searching. They each had a basket of clothes and were putting them up... Very weird, but who am I to complain. ??

the helpfulness didnt last long. they almost finished the baskets, Then something looked like more fun and they started playing. Now they did play with Bow, so that helped me ALOT. I didnt think I was going to last the afternoon though. I hate when they are all stuck in the house cause of rain. I mean the gardens need it. So does the hay. I have been hoping we get a good bit. BUT anything that sticks them inside, under my feet for the entire day is miserable. I hate it. i need SOME quiet time. Just a little. I cant wait till they can take Bow out with them :)

Once the rain stopped I had to go back and finish my pickin. Uncle Gerald cant do the middles of the rows so I had to get it done. We went back and the boys set to helping me. Then they disapeared. It was gradual. We all started out at the same time, me in the middle and them on either side. But eventually they started to fall behind. THen they were gone. I looked up and started searching a little while later and found them. Matt was in the horse pasture next to the pea patch. I have my horses down there. The mustang we have had for years and the miniature. I just had to sit and watch for a little while. Matt was walking behind the mustang holding onto the tail. Like he had good sense. Now this horse wouldnt hurt him, but it was just stupid. There was no point to it. He wasnt riding, he wanst petting, he was just holding the tail and following. LIke some wierd follow the leader game. But what made it so funny was the miniature was following Matt. now these are the same horses that can sense a leadrope at 2 miles and wont come ANYwhere near you. for days. Even to eat. But you walk out there to actaully work on fence or something and they will have their heads on your shoulders or try to steal your hammer.

I made them come back. I had told them when we got there that I would pay them a penny each for each Pea Pod they picked. But when I went back down their rows and they had left peas I would take away a nickle. I was doing Matts row and counted 112 peas he missed. He had 13 in his bucket. SO I decided on another tactic.

I counted how many would fit in the small 2 gallon buckets we use. its roughly 200. I told them I would pay them 3 cents for each pea or 3.50 per bucket. They took the 3.50 per bucket. I fiqured they would.

But they got all excited about the prospect of KNOWING how much they would make. Till now its just been me deciding how much they earned by how hard they worked.

Lets just say that I am shooting for them to get a good job in a state enity. Its a long shot I know, but I really hope they can apply themselves and manage.

They went to get buckets off Uncle Geralds cart, since I had filled the two they had previously abandoned.

20 minute went by and I didnt see them again. Uncle Gerald was weeding and retieing is 'mater plants. They were helping. somewhat.

They got done before I did and headed back to the house. After I picked all my peas I headed out. And about 1/2 way through the hayfield I saw a black object in the way. SO I stopped and got it. It was Bretts shoe. I aint sure how he throwed a shoe, but he did.

I got there and they were helping to shell peas. Luckily the fact that they have an attention span of a gnat and grew bored soon enough, I was able to jump in and rush the job.
When we went to leave Brett jumped out and ran behind the house. He came back to the truck with something hidden behind his back. It was one shoe. I asked him a few times where his other shoe was. He never would answer me. He just kept saying "Matt and I walked the trail over and over" I dont know when I will tell him I have his shoe. But I am going to get a few days out of it at least. I think I will hide his hunting boots too. (camoflauge laceup mud boots, that look pretty normal and you can wear them anywhere). I'll make him wear his cowboys boots that he just HAD to have, and wouldnt hand down to Matt, but hates with a passion and refuses to wear.

We got home at dark thirty and I had to clean the kitchen, and do some laundry. They had to have baths. And yes, they did pull the age old ploy to get out of the bath.
'but mom! we took a God Shower today'

it didnt work.

I dont have to pick peas till Saturday. BR says I have enough in the freezer. 63 meals worth. Not much. but I am PLUMB out of room. Matter of fact, I have been givin away squash to make room. I aint overly fond of squash, but could live on peas and cornbread for the rest of my life.
Specially if you throw'd in some deer meat or squirrel on occasion.


Barbara James said...

Thanks Chelle, always such a treat to read your blog. We are up to our eyeballs in yellow plums, trade you for some peas :D)

maidto5 said...

ya know, plum jelly sounds GREAT :)